No matter how big your closet is, you probably wish it was bigger, however do you really use all of the stuff you have crammed inside of it? Sometimes it’s hard to part with clothes and accessories that you’ve spent money on, and easier to simply continue cramming more stuff in your closet. Believe it or not, though, you will actually feel better once you clean out and organize your closet. These 21 blogs will give you advice on what clothes you need to keep for a basic wardrobe, how you should go about purging the rest and how to organize the stuff that you are keeping so that you can find it when you need it.
Creating a Basic Wardrobe
Putting together a basic wardrobe will not only save you time and money, it will also make organizing your closet simpler. Once you’ve put together your capsule wardrobe you will know what items will go with that core grouping of clothes and you’re less likely to buy something just because it’s on sale. Keep a list of items that you need and go in search of those items, and don’t waste time on other areas of the store. It’ll be much easier to organize your closet after you’ve cut back on the amount of clothes in it. Learn how to put together a basic mix-and-match wardrobe is these seven blogs.
- Secrets for Building a Fab Word Wardrobe from Scratch Read this blog post to learn what pieces to buy to create a month’s worth of mix-and-match outfits.
- How Can I Create a Work Friendly Wardrobe on a Budget? You’ll find both men’s and women’s suggested wardrobe choices for a mix-and-match wardrobe in this post.
- Building a Wardrobe of Basics and Statement Pieces This blogger creates several looks that are both dressy and casual.
- How to Build Your Basic Wardrobe For a more casual wardrobe, use the guidelines set out in this post to help you get started.
- How to Create a Capsule Wardrobe on a Budget By spending less than $200, this blogger was able to create over 72 outfits; find out how by reading this post.
- A Classic Capsule Wardrobe A capsule wardrobe is a smart option if you are just starting out or are trying to pare down your closet.
- How Stylists Create a Capsule Wardrobe in 6 Easy Steps By paring down your wardrobe you can save yourself money and make sure that you always look your best.
Purging the Unnecessary
There are several ways to purge your wardrobe. Start by getting rid of any clothes that don’t fit, are torn or stained and that are outdated. Once you’ve rid your closet of those items, take an honest look at the remaining items and only keep items that are on your core list of clothes or that are truly your favorites. These seven blogs explain more on how to purge some of the clothes in your closet to make organizing that much simpler.
- Why Not… Organize Your Closet? Start with a clean slate by taking everything out of your closet. Make sure that you have your capsule wardrobe list close by so that you can keep the items on your list.
- Simple Ways to Get Your Closet Organized Right Now Add lighting to your closet so that you can actually see what you put back into your closet. This one step could save you from being unable to find something that you need.
- Home Organization 101—Week 13 “The Master Closet” Start with four baskets or boxes labeled: keep, donate, trash and other room. Now sort your entire closet into those baskets or boxes.
- 10 Ways to Organize Your Closet Get rid of any old clothes that you no longer wear.
- Tips for Organizing Your Closet! Ask yourself if you’ve worn an item in the last year; if you haven’t, get rid of it.
- The 40 Hanger Closet If you don’t absolutely love an item, it needs to come out of your closet. If it’s out of season, find a place to store it that is out of your main closet space.
- 4 Steps to Purging Your Closet and Keeping Your Sanity Go through your wardrobe and get rid of clothes that are more than one size too small for you.
Using the Space You Have
Once you have determined your capsule wardrobe and you’ve gone through everything else in your closet you are ready to start putting things back in. It’s important to utilize products that can help you use all of the available space in your closet. Learn about space saving tips by reading these seven blogs.
- All the Tools You Need to Organize Your Closet Baskets are a smart way to organize small items.
- Organize Your Closet Check out the space saving organizational tools used in this closet makeover. The rod doubler uses the lower space in your closet that’s perfect for pants or skirts.
- Confessions of a Former Closet Slob Add a shoe organizer for the back of the closet door that you can use for shoes or accessories.
- Enjoy a Fresh Style in Your Closet this Season Utilize belt hangers, scarf hangers and hooks to make sure you are using your space to its fullest extent.
- Closet Organization & Wardrobe Update with Ali Ehrlich Use all the same narrow hangers and face them the same way so that you can fit more clothes into the space. Organize the clothes by color so that you can see what you have at a glance.
- Using All of the Closet Space Installing shelves in your closet may make the most sense if you are trying to store a lot of bulky items.
- Organizing Your Closet for Maximum Clothes Storage Space Keep in mind that it’s okay to fold clothes that don’t wrinkle, like sweaters or jeans, as you organize your closet space.