Are you interested in hosting a foreign exchange student, but aren’t sure how to start the process? There are several different factors you need to consider before allowing an exchange student into your home, and preconceived notions that may have been holding you back from hosting that are nothing more than myths. For instance, many people mistakenly believe that you have to have kids and that they need to be the same age as the exchange student you’re hosting. This isn’t true; what you do need to have, however, is a bed for the student to sleep in, to keep the student well-fed and to provide a normal family environment. While a separate room for the student is not mandatory, it is an added plus and can do wonders in making the student feel more at home. There are ample resources available for families interested in hosting a foreign exchange student, and the following 15 blogs can help clear up many of the questions you’re facing regarding what it means to be a host family
Who to Contact
Clueless about how to get started as a host family? These five blog posts will give you some sources to check into and can help you find a group that is right for you and your family.
- Host an International High School Exchange Student You can contact this group to be matched up with an appropriate student to host.
- Host an Exchange Student Learn how you can host a student with this company.
- Host an Exchange Student Find out which countries have students who are looking for host families right now.
- Change Your Life this Summer: Host an Exchange Student Read a heartwarming story about this bloggers experience with exchange students.
- Be a Host for a Foreign Exchange Student! This blog will teach you everything you need to know about being a host family and help you find contact information for locating a student.
Why You Should Host
The benefits of becoming a host family are endless and provide you with a unique opportunity to learn about another culture and to educate your children without leaving the comfort of your own home. Many families who host an exchange student find that the student isn’t just someone staying in their home for an extended period of time, but someone who becomes a lifelong friend. Take a look at these five blog entries to learn more about the benefits of hosting.
- Why You Should Host an Exchange Student—Yes, You! Read why this blogger thinks you should host an exchange student.
- Host an Exchange Student… Learn a new culture and language by hosting an exchange student in your home.
- Can You Share Your Experience with Hosting an Exchange Student? Take a look at the answers from real people who have hosted students and learn how their lives were made better by doing so.
- Barcelona Exchange Hear the story about how this blogger hosted a boy from Barcelona and how much she enjoyed the experience.
- Host a YFU Exchange Student in 2013! This post explains the benefits of hosting a student and provides a video you can watch on how to start the process.
How to Welcome a Student
Once you decide to host a student, what do you do next? How do you welcome him into your home and make him feel like a member of your family? For answers to these questions and more, take a look at these five blog articles.
- How to Welcome an Exchange Student into Your Home Tips for making your home inviting for the student and creating an open line of communication are covered.
- Temporary Stay, Permanent Links—Foreign Exchange Program Allows Transfer of Ideas, Cultures, Cuisines, Along with Students Read about the experiences of some exchange students and how they adapted to their hosts.
- How to Prepare Your Family for Your Exchange Student’s Visit Discussion topics to open a dialogue with your family about the exchange student’s visit.
- How Can I Make My New Foreign Exchange Student Feel More Welcome? Read the answers to this question.
- What to Do with Your Exchange Student There are tons of ideas on this post as to what you can do with your exchange student to make them fit in to your family.